June 8, 2018 3 min to read
Review: A Shameless Little Bet by Meli Raine
Category : Reviews
How do I prove a negative?
I need to prove Jane is innocent, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
Mirrors, smoke, and lies can conjure a truth that isn’t real. Money, bribes, and power can twist reality. What we call proof is all an elaborate magic act.
So is love.
How do you prove you’re in love? How can you know with unrelenting certainty that the person you can’t live without really loves you?
It’s all about what you believe. Who you believe. And I believe Jane. I love her. But it might be too late.
Or, worse – it might all be an illusion. If proof is just a magician’s sleight of hand, then we’re caught in a sick trick.
A deadly one.
One that doesn’t end with applause.
But with a bang.
Read the entire Shameless series now!
Genre: Romantic Suspense, thriller
Standalone: Nope – Read books 1 and 2 first.
Part of a Series: Yes Book 3 of 3 in the Shameless Series. This concludes Jane and Silas’s story
POV: Jane and Silas
Steam Level: Toasty warm
A Shameless Little Bet is the final book of the Shameless series. Unlike books 1 and 2 it’s dual POV. I like the addition of Silas’s voice to the narrative. It adds that little extra to the make the story feel more complete and changes the tone. A Shameless Little Bet continues to be action-packed and full of twists and turns and death and destruction. I still haven’t read Lindsay and Drew’s story. While not necessary, I feel like it could have enhanced this story. And while the villain was not surprising I liked how it played out. Had the climax not been so intense I probably would have been a bit disappointed. However, all in all, the Shameless series in general, and A Shameless Little Bet in particular was a rip roaring adventure, full of intrigue, deceit, action, adventure, sass and life lessons. This is definitely a great series and I look forward to reading more Meli Raine in the future.
I received an advanced copy of this book for free. This is my honest and voluntary review.
Favorite Quotes (only a few of many):
- You can heal from damage. Scars, though – scars are forever. Reminders of pain, they are trail markers.
- Manipulation pushes people to the edge. It’s the edges that are the line between life and death.
- Bring attention to yourself and the gods make notice. The universe is a fickle bitch.
- “Don’t ever apologize for telling the truth.” “People don’t like it.” “Stupid people don’t like it.”
- You’re allowed to be weak.
- Let the light in. A sealed dorm makes for a dark room. Crack it open. See what the light brings.
- Our pasts make us who we are.
- How do you stand still when you’re being relentlessly pursued by your own demons?
- Living in the dark all the time makes you forget what light is like. And it’s in the light that you actually grow.
- Vigilance keeps other people alive. But bright stars burn out the fastest.
- Indulging in the raw sense of being safe is ecstasy. Until you’ve spent a long stretch of time in constant uncertainty, you don’t realize how the solid, alluring flesh of a man can be nirvana.
- When you’ve held yourself together through sheer willpower and hope, the moment of letting your guard down is a ritualistic pleasure.
- His body is made for battle. Mine has been the battlefield for people who do not understand my warrior.
Click Here to buy A Shameless Little Bet by Meli Raine from Amazon.